Monday, October 11, 2010

Monarchs

This past week at Bright Start was not too exciting. I missed a day because I had to go to the hospital, so it didn’t feel like a whole week had gone by when the end of the week actually came. However, something quite interesting and beautiful did happen..
One of my co-workers has to go on break everyday at 3pm to go pick up her son Antonio from school. He’s a really neat kid, he’s ten years old and I’m really good friends with his older brother. I swear he’s like a mini version of his brother. Anyway, as I was creating a craft for the other kids to do (I mad witch hats for the girls and a Sorcerer’s hat for the one boy) he asked me if I could get someone to stand in my room for a minute. I kept asking him why and all he could say was that he wanted me to see something. He was holding something in his hand that looked like honeysuckle. I was kind of annoyed at first because I was in the middle of doing my job and what not. But after persistent begging, I got someone to stand in my room and followed him out into the parking lot.
When I got outside into the field just beyond the parking lot, I was amazed. There were millions of tiny little monarch butterflies flying around the flowers. They flew to the honeysuckle-looking thing in his hand, and he told me they’d fly to me if I picked a flower. I did, and he proceeded to splash a bit of his water from his water bottle onto it claiming “they liked water.” And we stood there for a few minutes, admiring the pure and simple beauty of life. It was really just plain.. awesome.
It’s the little things like these that make me love my job, mostly because I believe that kids understand something that most adults forget – simple happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment